"Prisoners are begging for more Readucate courses because
they see how Readucate changes lives," said Marion Johnson, Principal Educationist
and Head of ABET at Pretoria Central Prison.
I've learnt to be more patient
since taking the Readucate course," said Prisoner William
of Readucate's efforts in "making South Africa a safer place", Edna
Freinkel was awarded the NICRO (National Institute for Crime Prevention and
the Reintegration of Offenders) annual community safety award in February 2003.
As the Trust depends entirely on grants and donations, courses have
only been conducted when funding has become available.
Remedial teachers in Limpopo completed
the READUCATE course. Many of these Instructors have not only introduced
the READUCATE approach in their classes but are also running their own
private READUCATE Centres as small viable businesses in various townships
in and around Polokwane, Lebowakgoma and Tzaneen. Several centres cater for adults as well.
Since April 1995, over 400 school teachers have become
READUCATE Instructors in the
Kimberley, Upington, Springbok, Richmond, Hanover and De Aar districts At the average number of 40 learners per class, thousands of learners are already
- 2010: UNISA Outstanding Educator Awarded to Edna Freinkel
- 2008: Award for excellence in teaching from the Department of Correctional Services
- 2008: Ekurhuleni Mayoral Achievement Award for Contribution to Cognitive Development Skills
- 2007: CEO Magazine Influential Women Lifetime Achiever Award and winner in the Welfare and Community Services Section
- 2004: Counsellor of the Order of the Baobab, awarded by President Thabo Mbeki for lifelong dedication to upgrading learning in South Africa
- 2003: NICRO Prisoner Regeneration Award for contributing to a safer South Africa
- 2002: Finalist in Mail and Guardian 'Investing in the Future'
- 2002: Paul Harris Award presented to Edna Freinkel by Edenvale Rotary Club
- 1998: Northern Cape Arts& Culture Medal in category 'Literature and Libraries'